What is Black Magic?

Refiüd Derecat 

لا اله الا الله
Yönetici
İlimler Meclisi Kurucu
20 Tem 2023
logo.png

The concept of "black magic" or "sorcery" in Islam generally refers to clandestine practices carried out with negative intentions to harm or influence people. In the Islamic perspective, such practices are religiously prohibited and counted among major sins. The fundamental sources of Islam, the Quran and Hadiths, provide significant information on black magic and sorcery-related matters. Here are some Hadiths on the subject:

The Reality of Sorcery:
There are Hadiths from the time of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) indicating the reality of sorcery and its potential to harm people. One of these is as follows:
"Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) narrated: The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) remained in a state of being under the spell of magic for three days, during which time he was as if he were divorced from the world. He then said, '** has been revealed to me that this is a spell which was cast upon me. The wife of a blacksmith from among the idolaters came to me and said: 'The spell has affected you; if you wish, I can treat you.' So I said yes. She then said: 'Inform me about your comb and the hair stuck in **.' The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) replied: 'The comb is under the bedding in the waterskin.' She then took out the comb along with the hair, and she treated him. The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) resumed his former state of health as if he had been untied from a chair or an animal.' " (Bukhari)

Precautions Against Black Magic:
The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) advised reciting Surah Al-Falaq and Surah An-Nas as a practice to deal with sorcery directed towards oneself. These chapters can be recited for protection against sorcery and negative influences. ** is narrated in a Hadith:
"When the Prophet (peace be upon him) was afflicted with harm, Gabriel (peace be upon him) would come to him and teach him the following words: 'In the name of Allah, I seek refuge for you from all that afflicts you, from the evil of every soul or envious eye. O Allah, Lord of the people, remove the harm and heal. You are the Healer, and there is no healing except Your healing; a healing which leaves no trace of sickness.'" (Muslim)

Punitive Measures Against Sorcerers and Those Who Employ Them:
In Islam, practicing sorcery or employing sorcery is considered a major sin. Those who harm others through sorcery are held accountable under legal punishment. The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said:
"Whoever performs sorcery on someone (or has ** performed on someone), ** is necessary to kill him." (Bukhari)

As seen in these Hadiths, Islam acknowledges sorcery as a real phenomenon and advises precautionary measures against **. However, ** emphasizes the importance of seeking refuge in Allah and using protective prayers. At the same time, ** highlights the necessity of imposing strict penalties against those involved in sorcery.